Image Stitch Xilinx FPGA IP
The Omnitek Image Stitch IP is a highly configurable and optimised FPGA IP Core for real time image stitching of up to 8 video streams into a single 4K / UHD video stream. The Image Stitch IP employs FPGA hardware to perform real time image stitching using image coordinates calculated using software running on the FPGA CPU.
Reference frames are captured at regular intervals from the live video streams and the CPU calculates the overlap and individual warps that need to be applied to the images to correctly stitch them together.
The Image Stitch IP can be used with the range Omnitek’s Rx IP including the SDI IP, HDMI IP, "DisplayPort", "LVDS", etc. and can be used with Omnitek’s Image Signal Processing IP (to process the RAW sensor images) and Omnitek’s HDR Tone-mapping IP (to improve image dynamic range and contrast).
Functional block diagram of the Image Stitch IP
In this example, multiple RAW camera images are being processed by multiple instances of the ISP IP, enhanced by corresponding HDR Tone-mapping IP and then stitched together as quadrant display by the Image Stitch IP. The Warp Processor within the Image Stitch IP will intelligently stitch together the four source images and make the appropriate geometric and colour corrections to produce a composite image.
The Image Stitch IP can be configured to stitch together up to 8 camera images to produce a panoramic or 360 degree display.
- Automatic image geometry correction of up to 8 video streams
- Automatic white balance and colour correction
- Intelligent edge blending
- 4 quadrant image stitch, creating a 4K composite from 4 HD images
- 2-8 camera horizontal image stitch and 360-degree surround view
- 2-8 camera vertical image stitch
- Perspective or 360-degree video mapping
- Support for image sizes up to 4096 x 2160 at 60fps as 8, 10 and 12- bit, 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4
- Composite output image up to 4096 x 2160 at 60fps as 8, 10 and 12-bit, 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4
- GUI control via web browser interface
- Efficient external memory interface
- 10-bit, RGB, 4:4:4 processing with 8, 10 and 12-bit, 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 Rx/Tx interfaces
The Image Stitch IP can be used in a range of applications including:
- 360-degree Video capture and streaming
- Video conferencing systems requiring surround view
- Automotive surround view camera systems
- Surveillance systems
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality